The eighth week of lockdown, coupled with the uplift in weather, suggests to me that it’s time to start eating more vegetables.
Last week, my veg box contained far too many courgettes, so I had to get a bit creative in order to work through them all. This courgette flan came out on top. Served with tomato sauce, it makes a really great sunshine lunch.
600g chopped courgettes
1 courgette, sliced into thin coins and blanched in boiling salted water
1 finely chopped onion
1 grated garlic clove
50g cooked potatoes, cut into small pieces
2 tbsp vegetable stock
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
150ml double cream
3 beaten eggs
40g grated Berkswell cheese (or pecorino, or parmesan)
1 tsp chopped thyme leaves
- Sweat the onions and garlic in the olive oil with a pinch of salt.
- Then add the chopped courgettes and season with salt and milled black pepper. Cover with a lid and continue cooking slowly until tender.
- Add the vegetable stock and cooked potatoes, continue cooking until very soft then chill well.
- Transfer the mixture to a liquidiser and blend ‘til smooth, then pour into a bowl and whisk in the double cream, eggs, cheese and fresh thyme.
- Butter an oven proof dish 17cm x 11cm and pour in the mixture.
- Cook in the oven in a bain marie at 160°C for 45 minutes.
- Serve with fresh tomato sauce
Getting creative with veg? Fancy giving this courgette flan a go? Follow this recipe and post on social media using the hashtag, #21AtHome.